Chicken wire is much better that floral foam and should be the first option when you are going to create a floral arrangement.
Is reusable, is more economical, the flowers are able to drink naturally and is much much better for the environment.
A win win for us and the planet.
Step by step to how to use chicken wire in a floral arrangement:
- Cut a square of chicken wire and fold it into a cushion shape, making sure that all the sharp edges of the chicken wire are twisted towards the inside of the cushion to avoid damaging the container.
- The size of the chicken wire required depends on the size and shape of the container. Unfortunately there is not a specific rule to follow but I am sure that after few attempts will much easier.
- Place the chicken wire cushion into the container and if you have the possibility you can fix it with floral tape or with any other tape that you have available. The best method is create a cross on the wire with the tape and stick the end on the container. Try to use as little tape as possible and try to not make showing that much or you will need lots of flowers and foliage to cover it.
- If you decide to use a transparent glass vase a good trick is to line the container first with large simple leaves or a twist of trailing ivy to conceal the wire.
- Add water to your container and possibly includes some flowers food. Start your decoration by adding you foliage, make sure that the stems are long enough to reach the base of the vase and so they can drink easily and last for long time.
- Once you are the majority of foliage add your flowers and use the last foliage where required.
- Every few days or whenever you fill that is need it top up the water in the container.
Do you wonder why floral foam is not good for the environment?
Read here our blog post THE GREEN ALTERNATIVE TO FLORAL FOAM